Kalingar: Kalingar was a strategicly important town. The fort situated at a height of 700 ft. on the Vindhya ranges, a stronghold of the Chandelas from the 9th to the 15th century AD, remained an invincible citadel, prized for its location, right uptil the time of the Mughals. During its eventful existence, the fort was subject to numerous attacks by Mohammed Ghazni, Qutb-Ud-Din Aibak and Humayun. It was Akbar who finally conquered it in 1569 and bequeathed it as a gift to Birbal, one of his “nine jewels”. From Birbal, it went to Chhatrasal, the legendary Bundela warrior and then to Hardev Shah of Panna. In 1812 it fell into the hands of the British. The fort has a romantic and extraordinary history. This fort-town was enclosed within a high rampart wall with four gateways, only, three of which exist today. These are popularly known as the Kamta Dwar, Panna Dwar and Rewa Dwar.
Within the fort are two palaces - the Raja Mahal and the Rani Mahal, as well as several other places of interest. These include Sita Sej, a small cave containing a stone bed and pillow once used by hermits; a reservoir known as Patal Ganga; Pandu-Kund, where water trickles from the horizontal crevices of stratified rocks; Buddha-Budhi taal, whose waters are believed to possess healing qualities.
Neelkanth Temple was built by the Chandela ruler Parmardi Dev. In
a niche by the rock-cut Swagger Roan pool, stands a colossal 18-armed
image of Al Bhairav, the fearsome aspect of Lord Shiva.